466 Likes 17 Dislikes
If your Blackberry trackball isn't really spinning/scrolling in a certain direction, it's probably because a lot of dust has built up inside the trackball. Similar to the old mechanical mouse for computers, the Blackberry trackball needs to be cleaned once in awhile. This happened to me today so I thought I would share what I learnt while cleaning it. I hope this video will help someone out there who suddenly can't use their blackberry anymore.
This video will show you how to clean the trackball. You will need a Torx T5 screwdriver. You can probably find it most electronic stores. If you are planning to replace the trackball with a new one, buy them on eBay (sorry, we don't sell them). This probably VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY.
Several things worth mentioning:
1) Take your time, things are harder to put together than they are to take apart. So don't rush when taking apart the phone. Don't do it at all if you don't feel comfortable.
2) This will VOID YOUR WARRANTY (I think)
3) Doing this will NOT erase your data or settings on your Blackberry, but you should have a backup made before trying anything, just in case.
4) Don't be alarmed if after the repair, your Blackberry takes forever to turn on. It is because the battery has been removed the device is doing a hard reset. Mine probably took at least 5 minutes to start up. Once it does, you will only have to set the time again, everything else is the same.
5) I am not a cellphone repairman, and don't know much about any other model of blackberry phones. I believe some of them have trackballs that are much easier to remove/replace.
If you have a hard drive that has been through a power surge, check out our other videos. Otherwise, just enjoy the video! Hope it helps!